Motor Vehicle Excise Information


Below, you will find the most commonly asked questions about Motor Vehicle Excise Tax.

For a complete explanation, click here to view the State's Motor Vehicle Excise Information pamphlet.


What is motor vehicle excise tax?
The excise is imposed on the privilege of registering a motor vehicle. You are billed based on the information provided to the Registry of Motor Vehicles on the registrant’s application.

Who must pay an excise tax?
It applies to anyone who registers a motor vehicle in Massachusetts.

What is the tax rate?
The rate is $25.00 per thousand in value. This is the standard rate for the entire state.

What happens if an excise bill is overdue?
If not paid by the due date, the outstanding balance will accrue interest at a rate of 12%. If the bill remains unpaid, the following charges may eventually be added:
                   Demand Fee: $15.00
                   Warrant Fee: $10.00 (Bill is now held by the Deputy Collector)
                   Notice of Warrant: $12.00
                   Service of Warrant: $17.00
                   RMV Marking Fee: $20.00 (Marked for non-renewal at the Registry of Motor Vehicles)

***NEVER IGNORE AN EXCISE BILL*** Pay it on time to avoid interest and fees. You can then apply for an abatement and refund!

How do I change the mailing address on my excise bill?
The information on your excise bill originates from the Registry of Motor Vehicles. To make any changes to this information, it must be done through the RMV. You can either visit a local office or visit their website for more information. The closest RMV office to Deerfield is in Greenfield @ 18 Miner Street (next to the rotary off Exit 26 on Route 91).

How can I pay a bill that is held at the Deputy Collector's office?
The Town of Deerfield uses Arthur P. Jones' office as their Deputy Collector. Once a Warrant Fee ($10.00) has been added to an excise bill, the Tax Collector's office at the Town Hall can no longer accept payment and it must now be paid directly to the Deputy Collector. Please contact their office for payment options @ 877-378-9265 or visit their website for more information.  
Mailing Address: Arthur P. Jones and Associates,Inc., PO Box 808, Easthampton, MA 01027    

How are vehicles valued?
The value of a motor vehicle for excise purposes is determined by the Commissioner of Revenue at varying percentages of the manufacturer's list price in the year of manufacture as follows:

In the year preceding the designated year of manufacture: 50%
In the year of manufacture: 90%
In the second year: 60%
In the third year: 40%
In the fourth year: 25%
In the fifth and succeeding years: 10%

Condition and market value are not considerations in determining the value, nor is age after the fifth year. 

Who qualifies for an abatement? 
Your vehicle is valued for more than percentage of manufacturer's list price in the schedule established by G.L. Ch. 60A §1.
Your vehicle is exempt from the excise under G.L. Ch. 60A §1.
You sell, trade or otherwise transfer ownership of the vehicle, and transfer or cancel your registration, during the same calendar year.
You move to another state, register the vehicle there, and cancel or do not renew your Massachusetts registration during the same calendar year.
Your vehicle is stolen, you report the theft to the police within 48 hours, and you cancel your registration and obtain a certificate from Registrar at least 30 days after theft.
You register the same vehicle again later in the same calendar year.

You are not entitled to an abatement if you (1) cancel your registration and retain ownership of the vehicle, or (2) move to another Massachusetts city or town, during the same calendar year.

Who qualifies for an exemption?
Veteran’s (POW’s/Non-domiciliary Servicemen)

**Please contact the Assessors' office for the specifics for these exemptions, as each person’s case is different.**

When must I file for an abatement or exemption on excise?
Applications for abatement must be received by the Board of Assessors within three years after the excise was due, or one year after the excise was paid, whichever is later. To preserve your right to an abatement and to appeal, you must file on time.

Where must I file for an abatement?
You must file the application in the Assessors' Office.

Where do I get an application for abatement?
You can pick one up at the Assessors' Office or you can click here.

How long does it take to receive an abatement once it is filed?
Normally you will receive notification within a matter of days following the next scheduled Assessor's meeting. By law, the Assessors have three months from the application filing date to act unless you agree in writing to their request to extend the action period for a specific time.