Who is eligible to file for an abatement?

Anyone who feels overvalued or exempt is eligible to file for an abatement. However, you should ask yourself these questions before filing:

  • Is the data on my property record card correct?
  • Is my value in line with other similar properties?
  • Is my value in line with recent sale prices?

Also, keep in mind that you are appealing your assessment, not your taxes. Therefore you must pay your taxes pending your appeal. The office staff will be happy to assist you. No appointment is necessary to review your property record card.

Show All Answers

1. What are the current tax rates?
2. At what ratio is property assessed?
3. What does 100% of full and fair cash value mean?
4. How do I check the valuation of a property?
5. How do I check on the ownership of property?
6. Do you have a book and page reference?
7. Can I find out when a property was sold?
8. Do you have sales reports?
9. How do I change my mailing address for tax billing?
10. What is the assessment date of all property?
11. Whose name goes on the tax bill?
12. If a property is sold, when will the bill reflect the new ownership?
13. How do I change a name on my property / tax bill?
14. How often are tax bills issued?
15. When are tax bills due?
16. When do I file for an abatement for overvaluation?
17. Who is eligible to file for an abatement?
18. Where do I file applications for abatement?
19. Where do I get applications for abatement?
20. Are abatement applications public records?
21. If the Town denies my application, do I have any recourse?
22. What happens if my abatement is approved?
23. How much was the assessment reduced?